Conclusion – Front/Side Yard Parking Ordinance Vote – 9 for, 13 against, 2 abstentions and 2 blank ballots and misinformation
Members at the February Dawson Neighborhood meeting voted to reject this Ordinance as has happened every year for the past 7 years. The past two years it has been more contentious with a resident expressing problems with their neighbor’s front yard parking behavior. Both times one neighbor’s problem has been countered with a stream of misinformation starting with calling the ordinance a “Front Yard Parking BAN” which it is NOT.
Here for the record is the clarification statement I outlined at the meeting to address the long list of misinformation.
- This ordinance is intended to help with a situation of crowded and unruly parking of multiple vehicles all over a front yard.
- Its actually protects the value of property.
- It does not mean that you will be told to put concrete down on your existing parking places.
- It is not a conspiracy for concreting companies to obtain work.
- It is not a “ban on parking on unpaved surfaces” and only applies to new expansion of parking areas.
- Like all rules, it is intended to help resolve situations that are already causing “ill-will between neighbors”.
- There will not be APD swat teams sweeping through the neighborhood in the morning.
- Like all new development, expansion of new parking areas should go through the permitting process to comply with city code.
- Unless making changes to your property, no one is going to be required to “register” or submit an approved site plan.
- The official neighborhood organization (the DNPCT) receives a notice from the city every year to consider adopting the ordinance.
- The DNPCT duty is serving our community by concluding the consideration with a vote at this meeting (February 2015). This is not another conspiracy.
- Historically, the vote has hardly been contested, but bringing it to a vote, after the contact from the city, allows for change should it be deemed necessary by the meeting majority.
Peter Davis, Chair – Dawson Planning Contact Team